The INT Mission
The mission of the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies includes the following general objectives:
- ♦ To familiarize students with interdisciplinarity.
- ♦ To assist students in acquiring interdisciplinary skills, abilities and attitudes.
- ♦ To foster students' understanding of the interdisciplinary links of the world.
- ♦ To develop and strengthen students' critical thinking skills.
- ♦ To enhance students' intellectual perspective by asking and answering questions until a holistic presentation is possible.
- ♦ To prepare students to be responsible, effective, productive administrators in their own lives and in our ever evolving global world.
- ♦ To prepare interdisciplinary majors with transferrable skills, regardless of their profession, to include:
- ▪ critical thinking abilities.
- ▪ problem solving capabilities.
- ▪ cultural, social and global sensitivity and awareness.
- ▪ strong language and communication skills.
- ▪ strong research and writing capabilities.
The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies takes student advisement seriously and has a full-time administrative faculty member who advises students during their initial entrance into the department. After this initial advisement, students are then advised by the faculty members in the department.
The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies works closely with students to help them maximize their collegiate experience whether they are here locally in the Hampton Roads area or across the ocean in Japan! Each student's success is important to us and we specialize in individual and unique advisement to ensure our students' successful graduation from Norfolk State University.